What is stress?
Look up stress in the dictionary and you’re likely to see the following definitions:
- A state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances
- The state that occurs when the pressure experienced by a person exceeds their ability to cope
Everyday stress is no bad thing. Often we produce our best work when we are under pressure; it’s what drives us to meet our goals in life. Stress is only a problem when you get to the point of being unable to cope.
At that point it affects your health, happiness and well-being.
Why should you care about stress?
Stress is on the increase.
- By 2020 mental disease, including stress, will be the second biggest cause of disability. World Health Organisation
- Already 1 in 10 adults in the UK are taking antidepressants to get them through the day.
Stress, anxiety and depression were the main causes of absence from work in the UK in 2012
Imagine what would happen to your car engine if you revved it in neutral and left it like that. It would wear out pretty quickly. Now picture what happens to your mind and your body when you don’t allow it to switch off.
Symptoms of stress
It’s completely normal to experience some of these from time to time. However, if you have several persistent symptoms then stress could be the underlying reason.
The good news is that once you’ve identified stress as the real problem you can begin to take action to improve your life.
Who comes for stress management?
Stress is non judgmental. It doesn’t care about your age, background, job or anything else. It can and does affect people from all walks of life.
How does stress management work?
Just as there is no one single cause of stress, there is no single solution. That’s why we will work together to design a programme that is right for you.
Your personal programme may include:
- Coping strategies to help you get through tough moments
- Relaxation techniques to lower your base line stress level
- Cognitive techniques to help to re-evaluate how you perceive the world
- A lifestyle audit to help you to live a healthier lifestyle
Hypnosis or no hypnosis?
While hypnotherapy is a very effective tool in stress management there are some people who would prefer not to use it. There are also a few medical conditions and medications which would also make the use of hypnosis inadvisable.
Hypnosis is just a tool and there are many other tools which will enable us to create an effective solution for you.